Re: GR proposed re: choice of init systems

On 10/19/2014 01:25 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
On 10/17/2014 3:42 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
The fun part will be to see who actually steps up to the plate to do all
of the extra work. Especially amongst all of those pledged seconds. I
hope someone is keeping a list. :) Ric

From what I read, it will be one all debian devs (package maintainers)
to fully support all supported init systems in debian in any packages
that they maintain.

I don't see anything like that in the resolution or discussion. The resolution prohibits exclusive dependence on a PID 1 init, ie it doesn't (directly) enforce "multi-init," but it prohibits init tying or "mono-init," I guess you could say. See the -vote discussion for the full explanation.

I see nothing wrong with this. It isn't forcing anything on anyone, in
that any debian package maintainer is free to step down (stop
maintaining debian packages) any time they want.

It is simply a rule of being a debian package maintainer.

It's also been Debian Policy for ages (9.1.1). The resolution may reinforce a policy seen as obsolete by some devs, but changing it requires a 2/3 vote which means that this doesn't really do much, and that or similar arguments were primary objections, if I followed it correctly (and as a user seeing for the first time how Debian sausages get made).

What it allegedly does, however, is clarifies policy over an application case where there seems to be lots of confusion and debate, making it a candidate for resolution. This point was generally not contested.