Re: All roads to suspend/hibernate lead through systemd?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:44:23 -0500
Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:

> No, this is not a troll (seems like that is necessary to state up
> front).  I have been experimenting with dropping systemd from my
> laptop running Sid but find that even with xfce4-power-manager
> suspend nor hibernate are available any more unless I install the
> policykit-1 package recommended by the upower package which depends on
> libpam-systemd which, even if I install systemd-shim, also installs
> the systemd package as a dependency, even though it won't run as PID
> 1.
>
> Has anyone worked out a way to enable suspend in xfce4-power-manager
> without ultimately installing systemd?

No, but this sheds a little light elsewhere. About a year ago I was on
LXDE, and suddenly the GUI shutdown and reboot stopped working. I spent
a month or so typing in a password in order to shut down my single-user
workstation, then got fed up with it. There seemed to be no suggestion
as to when it might be fixed, nor any hint that I needed to install
anything else, so I switched to Xfce.

I've never got suspend, hibernate etc. to stay working properly on sid
for any length of time, and the only non-sid Linux installation I have
is a server, so I don't use them.

--
Joe