All roads to suspend/hibernate lead through systemd?

No, this is not a troll (seems like that is necessary to state up
front).  I have been experimenting with dropping systemd from my laptop
running Sid but find that even with xfce4-power-manager suspend nor
hibernate are available any more unless I install the policykit-1
package recommended by the upower package which depends on
libpam-systemd which, even if I install systemd-shim, also installs the
systemd package as a dependency, even though it won't run as PID 1.

Has anyone worked out a way to enable suspend in xfce4-power-manager
without ultimately installing systemd?

- Nate