Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On 10/14/2014 at 08:02 PM, lee wrote:

> The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> In my case, I don't install popcon because it pollutes the
>> tab-completion namespace for 'popd' in a root shell. That
>> interferes with my workflow
>
> Are you actually using this completion stuff?  It always gets into
> my way and I keep it disabled or removed.

Programmable completion, no; I find that awkward in too many ways, and
it breaks some of the assumptions I'd come to rely on from basic tab
completion before programmable tab completion became default-available
in Debian.

But basic tab completion (executables in PATH, absolute pathnames,
pathnames relative to the current directory), yes. It saves so much
typing and so many typos, I can hardly imagine working without it
anymore. (Except that I kind of have to, or at least to work with a more
limited version of it, in Windows at my day job. But even there, basic
tab completion works in cmd, just with some awkward quirks.)

Not to mention that just offhand I'm not sure I'd even know how to turn
off basic tab completion - whereas turning off programmable tab
completion is pretty much just a matter of not sourcing the
tab-completion files in the effective bash environment, IIRC. (Though I
always have to look up where to do it, every time I build a new system.)

--
   The Wanderer