Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:47:39 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 13 oct 14, 12:34:27, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >
> > Again.. when did the desktop become the priority for Debian.  For
> > years, Debian (and Linux in general) has been most useful in the
> > server environment.  Breaking server deployments, at the expense of
> > the desktop seems like bad policy.
>
> Do you have any evidence of systemd breaking your setup? If yes,
> would you please be so kind to at least file corresponding bugs?

I would suspect most cases are the result of deliberate decisions, and
are therefore by definition not bugs. I had a failure to boot, and a
non-working mobile dongle, both of which were not bugs but requirements
for me to change my systems. One occurred as a result of moving to
pid1=systemd, one as a result of *not* moving to pid1=systemd.

That will be the kind of breakage which may well occur when the great
Wheezy-Jessie upgrade begins, if pid1=systemd is enforced then. I have
seen it stated that it will not be, which would be sensible, but which
will then result in breakages where pid1=systemd *is* required. We know
about Gnome, which isn't too relevant for servers, but there will be
others.

Most of the gotchas will find their way into the release notes, not all
of them will. A few will be completely unforeseeable, due to unusual
configurations. Most of the problems will not be due to systemd
directly, but to new versions of systemd-ready software which become
un-systemd-ready when they meet the old configurations.

It might turn out to be necessary to make a Wheezy upgrade to the
then-current systemd from the present ancient one, presumably along
with a compatible kernel, to get that out of the way before the main
upgrade. I've been through a stable upgrade, I can't remember which,
that strongly recommended upgrading the kernel first and separately,
presumably for somewhat related reasons.

--
Joe