Re: Bash usage: was implicit linkage

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Chris Bannister
<cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

>> > No it isn't!  Ponder why most people take their car to a mechanic for
>> > servicing.
>>
>> And you snipped:

> Not on purpose. I didn't see it. It wasn't near that paragraph.
>
>> Paying a mechanic is one kind of quid-pro-quo, wouldn't you say?
>
> Don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who pays their mechanic to
> make mistakes. Au contraire in fact.
>
>> Do I need to unpack that a bit more, talk about how testing is a
>> substitute for making mistakes?
>
> No thanks.

And yet it is apparent that you need it unpacked for you.

Good mechanics made plenty of mistakes while learning the trade, and
learned from their mistakes. That's what schools are for, and that's
why those who learn on the job practice on junkers and their own
hot-rods before they tackle customers' cars.

Tests at school are one more opportunity to make sure that most of the
learning by mistakes is behind you when you start working on customer
equipment.

(I don't want the straight-A student right out of school as my
mechanic, or doctor. Straight-A students make their mistakes on the
job.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart,
and ask yourself if you are not your own worst enemy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself.