Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:19:37 -0400
Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

> On 10/13/2014 5:43 AM, Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2014 07:32:40 +0100
> > Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> >> Not necessarily. In the absence of an MX record an A record is
> >> perfectly legitimate.
> >>

> > And as I've pointed out to Jerry, a lot of businesses outsource
> > their incoming email to commercial spam-cleaning services, as well
> > as larger businesses using separate send and receive servers, and
> > some businesses receiving email direct but sending via a smarthost.
> > In each of these cases, the MX would not necessarily have any
> > connection with the mail sending address. My IP address A-PTR
> > record pair have no direct connection with any of the email domains
> > I use, with any MX, or any HELO strings I send.
> >
> > There's no one size fitting all with email. Heck, some people use
> > Yahoo...
> >

> Yes, they outsource their anti-spam.  But they do NOT outsource the
> servers themselves.

So people come in every day with a mop and bucket to clean up the email?

Google 'anti-spam service'.

Look at GFI Mailessentials Online, to pick a well-known name out of the
list:

'Block spam and viruses before they reach your network'
'Ensure uninterrupted email even when disaster strikes'

How do they do that if they use the customer's mail server?

>  In many cases, they cannot do so for legal
> reasons; for instance, in the U.S., many publicly traded companies
> must keep all emails (even spam) for a specific length of time.  The
> same is true of companies with certain Federal Government contracts.

Undoubtedly.

'Archive your important email communications'

How about Mailfoundry?

'How It Works

MailFoundry Hosted Anti-Spam works by routing your email (MX records)
to our network data centers where we clean your email and then pass it
on to your email server. It's really simple and easy to setup, and we
are available to assist you if needed. '

> And can you identify any legitimate business which has separate email
> servers?

My ISP, Demon. I'd be willing to bet that Microsoft does, and Google,
and...

Anyone whose email load is too great for one server to handle will use
more than one server. It's a no-brainer to separate incoming and
outgoing functions, as they require different processing. It's a
compromise to use one MTA for both. People dealing with lots of
email, using more than one server, will not connect them all using one
NAT bottleneck, they will use separate IP addresses, probably in a
single CIDR block, but not necessarily.

> Just because you do it wrong does not mean the rest of the
> world does.  I can think of a number of companies which will silently
> drop emails from a configuration such as yours (or at least relegate
> them to the company's spam folder and not deliver them).

That's OK, I don't do business with them. The pickiest mail hosting
company I have dealings with is AOL, who accept mail from me with no
problems. I've been doing this for fifteen years, Jerry.

--
Joe