Re: [exim4] mixed up about terminology

On 10/12/2014 1:37 PM, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 12 Oct 2014 at 15:56:05 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> writes:
>>
>>> If you don't know the difference between an MTA and an MUA, there is no
>>> way I can help you.
>>
>> I'm not asking what the difference is but what difference it makes when
>> this setting is involved.  Can you provide an actual exim config,
>> i. e. not the automatic stuff, which shows the difference this setting
>> makes?
>
> I don't think exim can tell the difference between talking to an MTA or
> an MUA. It can make some guesses based on such things as whether the
> client is local or what port it is contacted on.
>
> "submission mode" in spec.txt might be something to read.

Among other things, legitimate MTAs have MX records.  Anti-spam routines
are checking more and more for this.  Also, the HELO message of a valid
MTA matches the RDNS entry.  That of a MUA normally does not.  Also used
by anti-spam checks.

You can, of course, do whatever you want.  I can also drive my car into
the Atlantic Ocean.  But I wouldn't recommend it.

Jerry