Re: Bash usage: was implicit linkage

On Sun, 12 Oct 2014 17:07:01 +0300
Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sb, 11 oct 14, 21:40:49, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> > From my viewpoint, shellscripts were never intended to be big, huge
> > programs. To me, they just glue together commands, and have a few
> > rudimentary branching and looping constructs.
>
> Isn't that like buying IKEA furniture,

Exactly!

> but when you get home you
> realise all those little plastic bags with screws and mounting pieces
> are missing?

Not similar, becase either the parts are there, or they're creatable
with a few very basic tools (much easier to create files than screws).

> I will say this:
>
>     Any program that requires additional scripting just to get it
>     running is insufficiently advanced.
>
>     (you can quote me on that)

I can't argue with the preceding, because it's a belief, no more or
less valid than my (very contradictory) belief. The best I could do is
create a run script making program that asks you a few questions and
writes the script for you. Which, if it would bring more people into
the daemontools fold, isn't a half bad idea.

SteveT