Re: Using PuTTY with Debian GNU/Linux Systems

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 07:34:06AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I have published a new web page titled "Using PuTTY with Debian
> GNU/Linux Systems".  It is available here:
>
>    http://users.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/putty.htm
>
> All feedback, both positive and negative, is welcome.  In particular,
> if there are any factual errors on this page, I especially want to
> know about that.

Hello Stephen,

thanks for your web page. I like how you research things in detail,
also enjoyed your work on custom Linux kernels and their interaction
with bootloader configuration some years ago.

In your current article, you suggest rebuilding ncurses to add a
custom terminal type. I find it much easier to just install a terminal
definition locally as a configuration file.

This can be achieved with the following command:
  tic -x terminaldef.src
where terminaldef.src contains just the single entry from your patch.

The output is written to /etc/terminfo/ or $HOME/.terminfo/,
depending on the privileges of the user the tic command runs as.
The ncurses library searches for terminal definitions in several places,
including these two directories.

Regards,
Mirko