Re: Proposal: An alternative to mailing lists which isn't a forum

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 10/9/2014 10:48 PM, John Hasler wrote:
Jerry Stuckle writes:
But if you set up your own usenet server, you won't have access to any
of the newsgroups on usenet.
Unless you arrange one or more feeds.  That's how it works.  It's a peer
to peer system.  I run my own Leafnode server for my wife and I.  I
currently purchase a feed from Newsguy.  I've been doing this for
decades.  I used to be ihnp4!stolaf!bungia!foundln.  If I had a static
IP and lots of bandwidth I could set up a public server.

Not for nothing, but at various times organizations have run a single usenet (actually nntp) server to support community newsgroups. Microsoft comes to mind - the run a couple of dozen newsgroups on various support topics (http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/150057) - just point your newsreader at their server. Netscape used to sell an enhanced news server, precisely to host access controlled private newsgroups - unfortunately that died with Netscape.

Gatewaying debian-user to an nntp newsgroup hosted at debian.org might be a nice-to-have.

Miles Fidelman