Re: Proposal: An alternative to mailing lists which isn't a forum

Jerry Stuckle writes:
> But if you set up your own usenet server, you won't have access to any
> of the newsgroups on usenet.

Unless you arrange one or more feeds.  That's how it works.  It's a peer
to peer system.  I run my own Leafnode server for my wife and I.  I
currently purchase a feed from Newsguy.  I've been doing this for
decades.  I used to be ihnp4!stolaf!bungia!foundln.  If I had a static
IP and lots of bandwidth I could set up a public server.

That's irrelevant to the original posting, though.  It's quite feasible
to set up an island server with one or a few special-purpose
newsgroups.  It will do everything a Web forum does but better.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com