Re: question about systemd

On 2014-10-09 19:48 +0200, Reco wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 19:17:46 +0200
> Erwan David <erwan@rail.eu.org> wrote:
>
> That's one of the reasons I'm thinking to postpone that-pid1-process
> migration to jessie+1. I can understand the need of killing a useful
> tool for the greater cause (being upstream), but the thing that I don't
> understand is why kill the tool immediately if upstream wants it. And
> no, that isn't up to the discussion. I have no intention to start yet
> another that-pid1-process discussion thread.

Which leads to the question why you are responding in this thread.

>> Other setting, some very small PC used as router/FW. on a testing
>> machine, I see systemd memory foot print to be
>> 177096 VSS , 5556 resident  3100 shared.
>>
>> Thats HUGE. 8 Mo just for the init system, once th system is booted ?
>> I am not sure I will consider debian an alternative fore those PCs once
>> Jessie is stable...

The memory requirements just to run apt and dpkg are much higher, just
have a look at the files under /var/lib/apt/lists.

> You haven't took into account journald, which uses /run (mounted
> in-memory) to write its' own blobs. With the limit of 1/2 of available
> physical memory by default.

No, the size of /run defaults to 20% of the available RAM, and by
default the maximum size of the journal is 10% of that.

Cheers,
       Sven