Re: Prolem with external monitor

On Wed, 8 Oct 2014 15:23:55 +0800
Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a 23" monitor, that I want to use with two of my laptop
> computers (not at the same time).
>
> I have a 15" laptop, with an i3 CPU, running Debian 6 LTS and GNOME2.
>
> With the external monitor connected and switched on, upon bootup, the
> external monitor is automatically operational, and, replaces the
> laptop display.
>
> That is good.
>
> The other laptop has a 17" display and an i7CPU, and is running Debian
> 7.x and LXDE.
>
> With that laptop, with the external monitor connected and switched on,
> upon boot up and during a boot session, the external monitor does not
> work, and, is apparently not visible to the computer. The laptop
> display is operational, and no signal appears to be going from the
> laptop. Synaptic shows lxrandr to be installed, but the exernal
> monitor is not detected.
>
> In Preferences -> Monitors, only one monitor is shown; the laptop
> display.
>
> I also tried logging in to a GNOME Classic session, but got the same
> result.
>
> Both scenario's involve the use od a VGA cable and connection to the
> VGA socket on each of the respective laptops. That it is using the
> supplied VGA cable, and not aDVI or HDMI cable, is not a problem for
> me, as I find the resolution to be good enough for me.
>
> How do I get the external monitor to be detected, and, work, with the
> Debian7/LXDE system?

Something I would suggest you try soon is a different model of external
monitor. If you spend weeks fiddling about with drivers and then find
the VGA socket on this laptop simply doesn't work, you will feel
foolish, trust me on this.

Something else to try would be booting up a live CD of a more
commercial kind, such as Ubuntu or preferably Knoppix, to find out:
a) if it works
b) if so, what drivers it is using

Is the external monitor going into standby, by the way? I have an old
laptop and know of someone else's monitor which simply doesn't work
with it. The laptop VGA circuits want to see an active monitor
connected before they will power up, and the monitor wants to see a
live signal before it will come out of standby, or avoid going into
standby from switch-on... I haven't found any combination of switch-on
time and plugging that will actually allow them to work together,
though I presume there is a window of a few microseconds when they
would find each other. The laptop is fine with other monitors, the
monitor with other laptops.

--
Joe