From davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu Sun Oct  5 01:30:07 2014
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2014 01:30:06
From: davidson@ling.ohio-state.edu
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: the Rabbit of Caerbannog

On Sun, 5 Oct 2014, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

Do I want the Rabbit of Caerbannog ?
 - definitely and absolutely NO.

Is there any point arguing here in debian-user ?
 - definitely NOT.

I am inclined to this point of view, so pithily expressed by Andrew,
with one important caveat: I emphatically appreciate many of the
recent threads in which problems are discussed which confront those
debian users who would like to avoid the Rabbit of Caerbannog.

I have learned a lot from reading posts that arise in such threads,
and it distresses me when certain otherwise thoughtful contributors
here vociferously (and repeatedly) demand that people cease
contributing to such threads.

For my part, I tend to find most advocacy (whether for and against)
out of place, in this venue.  But I consider that tendency a matter of
personal taste, I don't presume to impose it on others, and I suspect
that telling others how to express themselves is a counterproductive
exercise.

I am a debian user who does not need the Rabbit of Caerbannog.  As a
matter of general principle, whatever I do not need, I do not want on
my system.

Following that principle (or even simply interpreting it), for me, is
an enjoyable work in progress.  To my great delight, using debian has
thus far (up to and including wheezy) enabled me to make significant
progress toward that aim.  For precisely that reason, whether or not I
continue to use debian releases beyond wheezy, I will always be
grateful to the devs and the community here.

But avoiding the Rabbit of Caerbannog (among other notable software I
might mention, but will not) is a concern of mine.

And, although I might have thought it would go without saying, I feel
I must add that it is a concern of mine precisely *because* I am a
debian user (and not at this moment, say, an openbsd user).

For this reason, I have every right to expect to read on this very
listserv discussions pertaining to this issue, and to contribute to
them myself if I feel I have something informative to add.

Thus far, I have not had much to add, and perhaps I never will.

But I expect the courtesy, from other debian users who may not share
my particular concerns, for participation in such threads to not be
hampered by gratuitous expressions of disdain and insult, or by bogus
arguments purporting to support the conclusion that anyone with a
critical view of the Rabbit of Caerbannog should politely keep their
mouth shut.

The circling of wagons is a pernicious social disease.

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laager#Circle_the_wagons

Make of that what you will.

-wes

--
"It's a universal symbol, a man and a woman together.  It's a
restroom."  --- some guy sitting next to me on an airplane