Re: Moderated posts?

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014, Steve Litt wrote:

Hi all,

Several of my posts to lists.debian.org have not made it to the
list, as defined by both my inbox and the list archive. These posts
all had something in common, and it was *not* swearwords or
gratuitous personal insults.

I replied to the list on Sun, 6 October, regarding the following post:

 [🔎] 54304FDA.1060502@affinityvision.com.au">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 54304FDA.1060502@affinityvision.com.au

My message hasn't made it to the list, either.

So if you've seen some of your posts not be posted, be aware that
somebody might be moderating your posts.

I believe it is quite likely that my post was filtered out, by some
filter designed for that purpose.  Censored, in other words.

I can't know the precise nature of the filter, but I find it
disturbing.  I consider it symptomatic of some unhealthy development.

This is not, apparently, the open forum for debian user concerns that
I thought it was.

Good to know how things stand, I suppose.

And when it's pointed out that your opinion is a minority, keep in
mind that it might just appear to be a minority because many posts
from like minded people might not have been moderated rather than
posted.

Personally, I think the right way to moderate a list is:

A) Tell everyone it's a moderated list

I imagine that tptb[1] here use a definition of "moderated" that
excludes whatever filtering they employ.  Quite possibly it is a
widely accepted definition.

Be that as it may, in the interest of transparency, or just the
principle of least surprise, I think they ought to be more upfront
about the nature of the filter.

B) Send the poster a short reason why his post has been moderated.

I think that such feedback is the least tptb could do, for the sake of
transparency.

[1] As always, since power == responsibility,

 tptb = the powers that be|the people to blame

-wes

--
"It's a universal symbol, a man and a woman together.  It's a
restroom."  --- some guy sitting next to me on an airplane