Re: Wifi works again. Should I post bug reports?

On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 01:40:23 +0000 (UTC)
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:13:52 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
> > After the last time I did a routine safe-upgrade in jessie, my ASUS
> > 1000HE no longer connects to wifi after a reboot and login.
> > Presumably something is wrong with the network manater.  What it
> > tells me after I log in and have my desktop up in a coffee shop is
> > that I do not have privileges to alter the wifi configuration.
> >
> > What to I have to do to regain these privileges?  Doing another
> > upgrade (in case it fixes a bug) will be difficult without wifi.
> >
> > This is a coffee shop whose wifi has a wifi password, and never
> > intervenes by sending me to another web page to register.  Wifi
> > SSID and password is all it uses.  This has worked smoothly for
> > over a year now.
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> After a lot of messing around, I got wifi to work again, by
> installing wicd.  Neither the network manager nor wifi radar did the
> trick.  What I noticed about wicd was that it did one thing
> different.  During installation it asked which users should be placed
> in the netdev group so that they could make network connections.  I
> placed myself in this group, and everything worked thereafter.
>
> I suppose at this point I could go back and try network manager and
> wifi radar again, to discover whether wicd installation fixed their
> problems, but I'm tired.

Tomorrow's another day, but retrying the other software is an excellent
idea so you know the root cause (or rule out non-membership in that
group as the root cause of the original symptom).

> Should I perhaps lodge bug reports against these packages?  Or are
> there reasons why the following are not bugs?

Not until you test your hypothesis that netdev group being the root
cause of the original symptom.

> Against network manager and wifi radar that they should warn the
> sysadmin on installation or upgrade that there will be a permissions
> problem, and what to do about it.  Only a month or two there appeared
> to be no problem with permissions.

At this point, you haven't enough evidence to deduce whether or not
it's a permissions problem. You should re-try the original programs,
and if you suspect permissions, temporarily change them, but not while
plugged into the Internet.

SteveT