Re: Wifi works again. Should I post bug reports?

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 22:13:52 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> After the last time I did a routine safe-upgrade in jessie, my ASUS
> 1000HE no longer connects to wifi after a reboot and login.  Presumably
> something is wrong with the network manater.  What it tells me after I
> log in and have my desktop up in a coffee shop is that I do not have
> privileges to alter the wifi configuration.
>
> What to I have to do to regain these privileges?  Doing another upgrade
> (in case it fixes a bug) will be difficult without wifi.
>
> This is a coffee shop whose wifi has a wifi password, and never
> intervenes by sending me to another web page to register.  Wifi SSID and
> password is all it uses.  This has worked smoothly for over a year now.
>
> -- hendrik

After a lot of messing around, I got wifi to work again, by installing
wicd.  Neither the network manager nor wifi radar did the trick.  What I
noticed about wicd was that it did one thing different.  During
installation it asked which users should be placed in the netdev group so
that they could make network connections.  I placed myself in this group,
and everything worked thereafter.

I suppose at this point I could go back and try network manager and wifi
radar again, to discover whether wicd installation fixed their problems,
but I'm tired.

Should I perhaps lodge bug reports against these packages?  Or are there
reasons why the following are not bugs?

Against network manager and wifi radar that they should warn the sysadmin
on installation or upgrade that there will be a permissions problem, and
what to do about it.  Only a month or two there appeared to be no problem
with permissions.

Against wicd that the package dependencies should specify that it
conflicts with the network manager, forcing aptitude to uninstall the
network manager when wicd is installed.  This conflict is mentioned on a
few relevant web pages, but not on others.  I see no reason why it should
be possible to install both.

-- hendrik