Downloading sources from an unsigned intranet repository

Hi all,

For some time now my workplace has had an APT repository for in-house
developed packages for software we either produce or support.

This lives on an internal intranet server and is accessed over plain
HTTP.  This has worked well for some time now.  Until today I notice:

> stuartl@qube:~$ apt-get source vrtlic -y --force-yes
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>   vrtlic
> E: Some packages could not be authenticated

Even though I tell apt-get to force download of the package sources
(which, I might add, I can personally vouch for as I put them there), it
refuses to do so because the package repository is unsigned.

Now I *could* organise a gpg key to sign the repository with.  I have
administrative privileges on the machine concerned.

I however can't be the only one to have this problem, and indeed
searching reveals that others have been bitten by similar issues, such
as a system rejecting their existing Debian installation CDs/DVDs/ISOs.

Is there some way to force apt to proceed with the download?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...