Re: Wifi works again. Should I post bug reports?

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:35:39 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Lu, 06 oct 14, 01:40:23, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>
>> Against network manager and wifi radar that they should warn the
>> sysadmin on installation or upgrade that there will be a permissions
>> problem, and what to do about it.  Only a month or two there appeared
>> to be no problem with permissions.
>
> In Jessie network-manager uses libpam-systemd to do this automagically.

Meaning, I presume, that systemd tells it who is allowed to adjust the
enetwork configuration, not that systemd warns the sysadmin upon
installation.

Is this something that has to be specially configured with systemd, or
does systemd just do the check that a user is part of the netdev group?

>> Against wicd that the package dependencies should specify that it
>> conflicts with the network manager, forcing aptitude to uninstall the
>> network manager when wicd is installed.  This conflict is mentioned on
>> a few relevant web pages, but not on others.  I see no reason why it
>> should be possible to install both.
>
> It is possible to have different network interfaces configured by
> different managers, just to give one example. The other one is simple
> switching between them.

That makes sense.  It might still be useful to have a warning in the
package description seen in aptitude.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

Thank you.