Re: hdmi video output

On Fri, Oct 03, 2014 at 05:40:11PM +0200, Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> hi,
> I recently installed a Nvidia Geforce 750Ti on my desktop, and would like
> to use it's hdmi output, but I'am unable to make it.
> I saw a lot of similar questions on the Net, but no real answer.
> Can anybody give me a hint?

The easiest option is probably to boot with only the HDMI connected.
Auto-detection should then mean that output must go there.
Alternatively, if you want to change the display on the fly, use the
"xrandr" command. For example, to stop outputting to the VGA port and to
start outputting to HDMI-0, you could do something like:

 $ xrandr --output VGA --off --output HDMI-0 --auto

Run xrandr with no options to see what displays are available, which are
connected and what resolutions are available.

> PS: I'm also surprised to find that the quality of the text in console displays
>     is so bad. Did anybody note that?

How bad is it? If it's fuzzy, they you probably need to change the
resolution of your framebuffer to match that of your monitor. Probably
the nicest way to do that is to add:

  GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768		# For example
  GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

to your /etc/default/grub (and run update-grub). That will cause GRUB to
come up in a high-resolution mode and then *NOT* reset back to text when
booting linux.

If your text console is, however, blocky and unreadable, this is
probably an issue with the nvidia driver (I find that sometimes,
switching from X to a console can result in a glitchy display. Switching
back to X works fine, though).