Re: How to install qt5 on Wheezy, and is that even a good idea?

On Sb, 04 oct 14, 16:44:17, Mark Carroll wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Sb, 23 aug 14, 13:43:50, Mark Carroll wrote:
> >>
> >> Package: *
> >> Pin: release a=testing
> >> Pin-Priority: 50
> >>
> >> Package: *
> >> Pin: release a=unstable
> >> Pin-Priority: 40
> >
> > This will make both testing and unstable have a lower priority than
> > installed packages. In practice this means you will *never* receive
> > updates to packages you installed from testing or unstable. Not even
> > security updates.
>
> Yes, I want to give chance for stable updates and suchlike to catch up
> with them over time: I generally don't want to be using packages from
> testing and unstable unless I have to, and I'd like them not to stay
> ahead in the longer term. Security updates aren't an issue because I
> subscribe to debian-security-announce and manually make sure that
> anything applicable does get updated, and so far I don't think that's
> been anything I actually had from later than "stable".

The only time one could say stable is "catching up to testing" is the
moment of a stable release, but even then, it's not quite accurate since
the current testing *becomes* stable, the next testing is started as a
"copy" of stable[1] and testing migration is enabled (again) to allow
packages from unstable to migrate to it.

But as long as you watch for security updates you should be fine.

[1] in practice each package version exists only once in the pool

> (Annoyingly, apt seems to get upset if I want to force the later
> packages into trying to use older dependencies to see if they work well
> enough, so I can end up pulling in more later packages than I want to,
> but it tends to work well enough to uncompress the package and tweak
> its metadata and install that adjusted version instead.)

Ugh! Did you consider local backports instead?

> > If unstable has to be used (are you sure? packages should migrate to
> > testing within days anyway) then yes, it makes sense to pin it to
> > something lower than 100.
>
> I guess they don't always so quickly, because I do try the "testing"
> version before the even later ones, but I certainly do sometimes end up
> having to use the "unstable" or, admittedly rarely, experimental. My
> guess is that "unstable" might be for a couple of reasons: something it
> interacts with, some service on the Internet or whatever, changed, and
> the package is just suddenly unexpectedly broken without a patch that
> quickly appeared upstream; or, I had a bug where the package maintainer
> didn't really care unless I could confirm it also occurs with the
> latest. Actually, fairly often I have software that just really doesn't
> work so well, and I try progressively later versions to see if I am
> lucky enough to hit one that has the bug or annoyance actually fixed,
> which of course sometimes has me go all the way before finding it isn't.

Have you considered using chroots instead?

> > Beware though that the package will not be updated until testing has a
> > higher version. This is especially important in case of security
> > upgrades.
>
> I actually usually assume that "testing" doesn't much enjoy security
> upgrades: they'll hit "stable" and "unstable" first, so that's partly
> why I use the mailing list to help make sure I'm on top of things. My
> system's core services are pretty much all from "stable" anyway, it's
> usually just the occasional utility or connector that isn't.

Security fixes for testing usually go through unstable, but with reduced
migration times (2 days?).

Kind regards,
Andrei