Re: How to install qt5 on Wheezy, and is that even a good idea?

[for the archives]

On Sb, 23 aug 14, 13:43:50, Mark Carroll wrote:

> In my /etc/apt/preferences.d/preferences I have,
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=stable
> Pin-Priority: 600

You are increasing priority of stable, from 500 to 600, why?

> and also,
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 50
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 40

This will make both testing and unstable have a lower priority than
installed packages. In practice this means you will *never* receive
updates to packages you installed from testing or unstable. Not even
security updates.

If all one wants to do is install packages from testing on an otherwise
stable system it's much simpler to use Default-Release in apt.conf:

// this sets 'stable' to priority 990
APT::Default-Release "stable";

If unstable has to be used (are you sure? packages should migrate to
testing within days anyway) then yes, it makes sense to pin it to
something lower than 100.

Beware though that the package will not be updated until testing has a
higher version. This is especially important in case of security
upgrades.

And don't forget, 'apt-cache policy' (with or without <package>) is your
best friend when pinning.

Also, as a general remark, it's much better to use code-names
everywhere, to avoid surprises whenever there is a release.

Kind regards,
Andrei