Re: [solved] fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires gvfs)

  On Fri, 3 Oct 2014 19:34:48 +0000 Vincent mentioned this:
	Re: [solved] fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero
  requires gvfs).

<huge snip>

> If you open /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook and take a look at the first
> few lines, it says that the file is auto-generated (which is the whole
> point of the Debian menu system: you don't have to manually edit the
> menu file every time a new application is installed/uninstalled). So
> your custom edits might be replaced in the future.
>
> If you want to add an entry to your menu, why not do it directly? You
> don't have to add it to the Debian menu. Trying to add to the Debian
> menu involves knowing the internal layout of the menu, which is
> probably more work than it's worth. But if you insist:
>
> If you have your own menudefs.hook in ~/.fvwm/, then you have to tell
> Fvwm to actually read the file. Add an extra line to the function from
> step 1:
>
> DestroyFunc SetDebianMenu
> AddToFunc SetDebianMenu
> + I Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook
> + I Read ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook
>
> >> All a bit tricky.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your time in this, but please don't waste any more time
> >> on this. I feel guilty that you have already spent too much time
> >> already.
> Well, I happened to be the current maintainer for the Fvwm package, so
> providing support is part of what I do. You could say I've already
> "wasted" enough time on Fvwm as it is :-P
>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Charlie
> >
> > Hello Vincent,
> >
> > I left everything as described above.
> >
> > Deleted: Read bindings in my .fvwm2rc file and that now allows me to
> > just click on the desktop and have access to the Debian Menu.
> >
> > I removed the taskbar by the relevant section in the functions file
> > and this looks as I like just what, for me at least, is desired.
> >
> I take it that the Debian menu is now working for you? Great!
>
> Regards,
>
> Vincent

  From my keyboard:

   Hello Vincent,

      Regardless that you are the current maintainer of fvwm, I still
      thank you for the time and effort you have expended on this and
      the help given which has produced the results I desire.

I have taken your advice as above, so here is how it reads:

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# This is the Debian menu call as suggested by Vincent W Chen.
# Debian Menu
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DestroyFunc SetDebianMenu
AddToFunc SetDebianMenu
+ I Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook
+ I Read ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook
Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) SetDebianMenu

Just out of curiosity, because it certainly works and if it ain't broke
don't fix it I think.

Do I still require the:

Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) SetDebianMenu

It doesn't appear to be a problem at all when I restart fvwm so I won't
remove it at all. Just made me wonder where I should put the line
you recommended: + I Read ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook

Before or after that line? As you can see, I have placed it before.
Will it still work there? Bearing in mind that I have done it the wrong
way round, worked on my /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook and then copied it
to ~/.fvwm. So they are both the same and therefore I can't tell which
one the system is reading. [laughing] It seems to work anyway.

yes the Debian Menu is working a treat. Thank you.

Only if you have time and are inclined to answer the question: What
does that line actually do? As you will see I really have no idea what
I'm doing. I just remove and add things and use various bits and pieces
from sample fvwn2rc files and test them in various places to see if
they do what I want rather than need.

This all because I like to have things just so, though I'm able to
live with things not so. My problem is that anything not so, is niggled
at when time permits. It's a terrible flaw in my character. But that's
also why I appreciate your help so much.

So thanks again, it is appreciated.

Stay well,
Charlie
--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	One reason I don't drink is that I want to know when I'm having
	a good time. - Lady Astor