Re: fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires gvfs)

  On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 17:33:43 -0700 Vincent mentioned this:
> [...]

> >> DestroyFunc SetDebianMenu
> >> AddToFunc SetDebianMenu
> >> + I Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook
> >>
> >> Which when called will read from the menudefs.hook under
> >> /etc/X11/fvwm/. This menudefs.hook defines the structure of the
> >> Debian menu, but is not yet linked to your personal menu. The name
> >> of the Debian menu is "/Debian".
> >>
> >> 2. Calling the function
> >>
> >> Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) SetDebianMenu
> >>
> >> Which will first test if the menu exists, then calls the function
> >> defined in step 1. This line can be put anywhere you like, as long
> >> as it's after the function definition.
> >>
> >> 3. Add the Debian menu to your menu
> >>
> >> Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) + "Debian Menu" Popup
> >> "/Debian"
> >>
> >> Insert this as part of your menu definitions, under
> >> 'AddToMenu ...'. This instructs Fvwm to insert an entry to popup
> >> the menu "/Debian".
> >>
> >> Hope it helps,
> >>
> >> Vincent Chen
> >

> >   From my keyboard:
> >
> >    Hello Vincent,
> >
> >       Thanks you for that. Doesn't do it for me. I want to get rid
> > of the taskbar and just have the Debian menu available through the
> >       left mouse click on the desktop instead.
> >
> > But it doesn't work for me at all. I can get rid of the taskbar, but
> > then I don't have a Debian menu I can call up every application in
> > the Debian menu in a terminal, but that's just too tedious.
> >
> That's because you didn't follow the steps I laid out. Insert the
> snippets I provided in step 1 and 2 directly in your config file. Not
> inside the root menu or any other directives, but directly in your
> config file.
>
> > In my menus - Root Menu - there is already this in part:
> >
> > + "&Restart%mini.turn.xpm%"             Popup Restart
> > + "&Quit fvwm%mini.stop.xpm%"           FvwmForm
> > FvwmForm-QuitVerify Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) +
> > "$[gt.&Update My Debian Menu]%menu/terminal.xpm%" PipeRead
> > 'update-menus &&  echo "Read $./menudefs.hook"'
> >
> Because this does exactly what it says: "Update My Debian Menu". _IF_
> you already have a Debian menu, clicking this entry will update the
> Debian menu. This has nothing to do with actually providing the Debian
> menu entry in your menu.
>
> > But It doesn't show up so I might have to edit it, but don't know
> > how. So will have to keep playing about when I get time.
> >
> Insert the snippet in step 3 in your menu. That's what will actually
> insert the Debian menu entry in your own menu.
>
> I'll try and restate what is being done:
> - Steps 1 and 2 defines the structure of the Debian menu, and makes
> Fvwm aware of what the Debian menu looks like.
> - Step 3 is what makes Fvwm actually show the Debian menu as a menu
> entry.
>
> If you only do steps 1 and 2, Fvwm will know about the Debian menu,
> but does not display it anywhere. If you only do step 3, Fvwm will
> display a menu entry, but will have no idea what this "/Debian" menu

  From my keyboard:

   Hello Vincent,

      Thank you for your patience. I have done as you suggested. I
      assume that 1 is a function, so have placed in ~/.fvwm/function
      this:

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# This is the Debian menu call as suggested by Vincent W Chen.
# Debian Menu
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DestroyFunc SetDebianMenu
AddToFunc SetDebianMenu
+ I Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook
Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) SetDebianMenu

That appears where functions like this are entered?

Then in ~/.fvwm/menus have placed the other at the end, as seen here:

# Root Menu: This menu will fire up some very common utilities

DestroyMenu Utilities
AddToMenu   Utilities "Root Menu" Title
#PREF 3
+ "&Terminal%mini.term.xpm%"		Exec exec xterm
+ "&Editor%mini.kate.xpm%"		Exec exec kate
+ "&File Manager%mini.filemgr.xpm%"	Exec exec xterm -g 80x35 -e
mc
+ "&Top%mini.run.xpm%"			Exec exec xterm -geometry
80x40	-T Top -n Top -e top
+ ""					Nop
+ "&Shells%mini.term.xpm%"		Popup Shells
+ "&Programs%mini.start.xpm%"		Popup Programs
+ ""					Nop
+ "Fvwm &Modules%mini.modules.xpm%"	Popup Module-Popup
+ "&Settings%mini.desktop.xpm%"		Popup Settings
+ "&Documents%mini.books.xpm%"		Popup Documents
+ "&Screen Saver%mini.display.xpm%"	Popup Screen
+ ""					Nop
+ "&Restart%mini.turn.xpm%"		Popup Restart
+ "&Quit fvwm%mini.stop.xpm%"		FvwmForm
FvwmForm-QuitVerify Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) +
"$[gt.&Update My Debian Menu]%menu/terminal.xpm%" PipeRead
'update-menus &&  echo "Read $./menudefs.hook"'
Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) + "Debian Menu" Popup "/Debian"

I have done those things from your previous emails.

There is no joy. It doesn't show up, I still have to use "Start" from
the start menu which has the entry for Debian Menus.

My .fvwm2rc has only read entries to read the various file, like
function, menus, modules etc., like this:

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------#
#
# Start the Show
#
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------#

Read decorations

Read globalfeel

Read menudefs.hook

Read startup

Read styles

Read iconstyles

Read functions

Read bindings

Read menus

Read modules

So obviously it either doesn't work on my system or I am putting the
function in the wrong function menu, or something else.

There seems to be no place to put something else? All the rest of the
text is commented out?

I have tried quite a few things, like put the taskbar entry:

Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) + "&Debian Menu%programs.xpm%"
Popup /Debian

Into various locations, but no joy there either.

I've added some applications to: ~/.fvwm/menudefs.hook but they don't
work unless I actually make the entries in /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook
I have no idea why it reads that entry before the one in the ~/.fvwm
home directory?

All a bit tricky.

Thanks for your time in this, but please don't waste any more time on
this. I feel guilty that you have already spent too much time already.

Thank you,
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	They deem me mad because I will not sell my days for gold and I
	deem them mad because they think my days have a price. --Kahlil
	Gibran