Re: [solved] fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires gvfs)

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 17:47:43 +1000 Charlie sent:

>   On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 17:33:43 -0700 Vincent mentioned this:
> 	Re: fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires
>   gvfs).
>
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Charlie
> > <ariestao@ipstarmail.com.au> wrote:
> > >
> > >   On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:51:41 -0700 Vincent mentioned this:
> > >         Re: fvwm: was i3 sticky/floating windows (brasero requires
> > >   gvfs).

> > >   From my keyboard:
> > >
> > >    Hello Vincent,
> > >
> > >       Thanks you for that. Doesn't do it for me. I want to get rid
> > > of the taskbar and just have the Debian menu available through the
> > >       left mouse click on the desktop instead.
> > >
> > > But it doesn't work for me at all. I can get rid of the taskbar,
> > > but then I don't have a Debian menu I can call up every
> > > application in the Debian menu in a terminal, but that's just too
> > > tedious.
> > >
> > That's because you didn't follow the steps I laid out. Insert the
> > snippets I provided in step 1 and 2 directly in your config file.
> > Not inside the root menu or any other directives, but directly in
> > your config file.
> >
> > > In my menus - Root Menu - there is already this in part:
> > >
> > > + "&Restart%mini.turn.xpm%"             Popup Restart
> > > + "&Quit fvwm%mini.stop.xpm%"           FvwmForm
> > > FvwmForm-QuitVerify Test (f /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook) +
> > > "$[gt.&Update My Debian Menu]%menu/terminal.xpm%" PipeRead
> > > 'update-menus &&  echo "Read $./menudefs.hook"'
> > >
> > Because this does exactly what it says: "Update My Debian Menu".
> > _IF_ you already have a Debian menu, clicking this entry will
> > update the Debian menu. This has nothing to do with actually
> > providing the Debian menu entry in your menu.
> >
> > > But It doesn't show up so I might have to edit it, but don't know
> > > how. So will have to keep playing about when I get time.
> > >
> > Insert the snippet in step 3 in your menu. That's what will actually
> > insert the Debian menu entry in your own menu.
> >
> > I'll try and restate what is being done:
> > - Steps 1 and 2 defines the structure of the Debian menu, and makes
> > Fvwm aware of what the Debian menu looks like.
> > - Step 3 is what makes Fvwm actually show the Debian menu as a menu
> > entry.
> >
> > If you only do steps 1 and 2, Fvwm will know about the Debian menu,
> > but does not display it anywhere. If you only do step 3, Fvwm will
> > display a menu entry, but will have no idea what this "/Debian" menu
> > is.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Vincent
>

>   From my keyboard:
>
>    Hello Vincent,
>
>       Thank you for your patience. I have done as you suggested. I
>       assume that 1 is a function, so have placed in ~/.fvwm/function
>       this:
>
> #----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # This is the Debian menu call as suggested by Vincent W Chen.
> # Debian Menu
> [...]

Hello Vincent,

I left everything as described above.

Deleted: Read bindings in my .fvwm2rc file and that now allows me to
just click on the desktop and have access to the Debian Menu.

I removed the taskbar by the relevant section in the functions file and
this looks as I like just what, for me at least, is desired.

Thanks for your time and help in this.
Charlie

--
	Registered Linux User:- 329524

	All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is
	called a philosopher. --Ambrose Bierce