Re: excessive CPU usage (SOLVED)

On 09/21/2014 11:54 AM, Gary Roach wrote:
Hi all

For the last few months I have been plagued by very slow response from my system. As an example, it takes 2 1/2 minutes to drag and drop 80 files from my email inbox to the trash bin in icedove. It has taken as high as 5 minutes for iceweasel to load. This problem is not just these packages but also applies to all of the rest of my programs.

I am using Debian Wheezy with a i5750 4 core processor on a fast Intel board. I run a kde desktop. All the software is up to date.

I have checked all of the log files and can't find any anomalies. Rebooting doesn't help.

Using the KDE System Monitor (ksysguard) I have noticed that at least one of the processors goes to 100% and stays there for long periods even though there is no noticeable activity in the process tables. The only other thing I have noticed (the printing just hung up while I am writing this) is that the hard drive indicator comes on and stays on during the processor activity. I ran some checks on the hard drive but found no indication of any hard drive problems.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any idea what is going on.

Thanks in advance

Gary R.

Thanks for all of the help. It was pointed out on a web site I found that SMART item 5 - Reallocated_Sector_Cnt - was zero, indicating that there was no bad sectors found. Further, all of the logged errors were DMA Read / Write errors that occurred very recently. To me, this indicated a problem with the drives logic board. I bought an identical drive - except a Caviar Black instead of Green - and used Clonezilla to clone the original to the new drive. I had to use the -recover- mode because of the errors. It took most of the day but finally completed. I unplugged the old drive and rebooted the system. Everything works great. The black drive is faster than the green one so the system is even more responsive that it was originally.

Thanks again for all of the help. Using SMART works if you can ever figure out what all of that cryptic data means.

Gary R.