Re: security camera software/RPi

On 10/01/2014 03:49 AM Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 01/10/14 17:42, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Ma, 30 sep 14, 21:01:52, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 9/30/2014 7:11 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Sb, 27 sep 14, 05:23:29, ken wrote:

What other cheap devices devices were you referring to that
would better handle the load?

https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi

You've never actually tried a RPi with a camera, have you?

As Ken said, the RaspberryPi is a very bad choice for such a
job.

The plural of anecdote is not fact.
Have *you* tried it?

The TP-Link TL-WR703N is less powerful than the Raspberry, yet it does
run 'monitor' with dual cameras.

1. I think you're mixing up who said what 2. You haven't actually
read that page, have you?

Or these:-
;http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2012/08/creating-a-motion-detecting-security-cam-with-a-raspberry-pi-part-1.html
;http://programmaticponderings.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/remote-motion-activated-web-based-video-surveillance-with-raspberry-pi/

Kind regards, Andrei

Kind regards

While it's understandable, unless one rereads the posts in a thread, that who said what can be lost, so I'll clarify: I didn't say the RPi was a bad choice for a security camera. What I did say was that I'd read that some people claimed to have done it (and were happy with the result). Here's one I just read which provides step-by-step instructions:

<http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/665518/Raspberry-Pi-as-low-cost-HD-surveillance-camera>

There are others.

Re: the contention that "it doesn't work": That would need more clarification. E.g., perhaps full-motion video doesn't work, but this isn't necessary for a security camera. In the article I reference above, the author configured 2fps @ 1280x720. But then he also was running a webserver on the same RPi. I probably wouldn't do that, but rather offload the video to another machine and watch it from there. The point is, as is often the case, whether this works or doesn't may well be contingent on the system's configuration.