Re: security camera software/RPi

On 9/30/2014 7:11 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Sb, 27 sep 14, 05:23:29, ken wrote:
>>
>> What other cheap devices devices were you referring to that would better
>> handle the load?
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/RaspberryPi
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei

You've never actually tried a RPi with a camera, have you?

As Ken said, the RaspberryPi is a very bad choice for such a job.  The
ethernet port internally is processed by the USB connection.  Throughput
is very limited, and even the lowest resolution camera is likely to
overload it to the point where it crashes or, at a minimum, loses data.

Plus it runs a special version of Debian (Raspbian), which is
incompatible with Debian - and many of the Debian packages are not
available.

Before you recommend something, you should try it.  I have a client who
looked seriously at the RPi before discarding it for another board (I
can't say which, but it wasn't a whole lot more expensive than the RPi -
and it works).

Jerry