Re: Trying to upgrade bash on squeeze, running into errors

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Russell Jones wrote:
> On 9/26/2014 6:43 PM, Don Armstrong wrote:
> >On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Russell Jones wrote:
> >>I've seen several posts about this Bash upgrade issue, but no real
> >>answers on how to get past it. Any assistance would be appreciated,
> >>thank you!
> >This looks like the diversions for /bin/sh got removed or otherwise
> >improperly modified at some point in time.
> >
> >dpkg-divert --list '/bin/sh*';
> >
> >will show you what the diversions are.
> >
> >You should have a diversion of /bin/sh to /bin/sh.distrib by dash or by
> >bash (depending on which of them you want to be the default shell).
> >
> >If the diversion doesn't exist, then you probably want to run the
> >following (for dash to be the default shell)
> >
> >dpkg-divert --package dash --divert /bin/sh.distrib --add /bin/sh;
> >dpkg-divert --package dash --divert /usr/share/man/man1/sh.distrib.1.gz \
> >  --add /usr/share/man/man1/sh.1.gz;
> >
> >or similar.
> >
> >In theory, running /var/lib/dpkg/info/dash.preinst; should also do this
> >for you.

> It looks like the diversion does exist, so doesn't look like that's
> the issue:
>
> local diversion of /bin/sh to /bin/sh.distrib

This is wrong; this is a local diversion, not a diversion by dash or
bash, so you're going to end up diverting both dash and bash to
/bin/sh.distrib, which will fail.

Remove the local diversion, and try rerunning the dash.preinst.

[I'm not sure why you have a local diversion; that's basically not going
to work at all.]

If god is always watching over us
who's driving?
 -- a softer world #487