Re: Trying to upgrade bash on squeeze, running into errors

On Fri, 26 Sep 2014, Russell Jones wrote:
> I've seen several posts about this Bash upgrade issue, but no real
> answers on how to get past it. Any assistance would be appreciated,
> thank you!

This looks like the diversions for /bin/sh got removed or otherwise
improperly modified at some point in time.

dpkg-divert --list '/bin/sh*';

will show you what the diversions are.

You should have a diversion of /bin/sh to /bin/sh.distrib by dash or by
bash (depending on which of them you want to be the default shell).

If the diversion doesn't exist, then you probably want to run the
following (for dash to be the default shell)

dpkg-divert --package dash --divert /bin/sh.distrib --add /bin/sh;
dpkg-divert --package dash --divert /usr/share/man/man1/sh.distrib.1.gz \
 --add /usr/share/man/man1/sh.1.gz;

or similar.

In theory, running /var/lib/dpkg/info/dash.preinst; should also do this
for you.

Rule 6: "If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to
enough of it."
  -- Howard Tayler _Schlock Mercenary_  March 13th, 2005
     http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20050313.html