Re: Fwd: Re: cron in UTC?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, John Hasler wrote:
> Tony van der Hoff writes:
> > Believe me; I've beaten that man to death, but not found the answer.
> > Perhaps you'd like to give a more detailed pointer into that manual?
>
> See the part about setting environment variables.  You should be able to
> set TZ=UTC .

This sets the environmental variable for the shell forked by cron, but
doesn't change the environmental variable for evaluating the crontab
time specifications. [It's probably past time for cron to be replaced
with fcron or similar, but cron+anacrontab seems to work well enough for
most people that it hasn't happened. fcron used to be in Debian, but got
removed because it was unmaintained in Debian (and upstream at the
time).]

I would like to be the air
that inhabits you for a moment
only. I would like to be that unnoticed
& that necessary.
 -- Margaret Atwood "Poetry in Motion" p140