Re: Fwd: Re: cron in UTC?

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, John Hasler wrote:
> > Tony van der Hoff writes:
> > > Believe me; I've beaten that man to death, but not found the answer.
> > > Perhaps you'd like to give a more detailed pointer into that manual?
> >
> > See the part about setting environment variables.  You should be able to
> > set TZ=UTC .
>
> This sets the environmental variable for the shell forked by cron, but
> doesn't change the environmental variable for evaluating the crontab
> time specifications. [It's probably past time for cron to be replaced
> with fcron or similar, but cron+anacrontab seems to work well enough for
> most people that it hasn't happened. fcron used to be in Debian, but got
> removed because it was unmaintained in Debian (and upstream at the
> time).]

I used to maintain fcron in Debian, however SELinux support was not upstream
yet, broke, and I had no time to fix it.  Russell Coker tried to help giving
me an account on a SELinux box, but the real problem was that more human
power was needed, and the RFH bug received no response.

So I ended up agreeing that it should be removed, because the package was
bitrotting fast.

Reintroducing fcron in Debian will require some work to be done properly,
and past history tells me to not do it at all unless we have at least
*three* people willing to enter team maintainership commited to the effort.

upstream is friendly, but fcron is in maintenance mode.  If you want
anything done, you will have to write the code and submit upstream.

  Henrique Holschuh