Re: How/Where to file a feature request

On 09/27/2014 01:27 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Saturday 27 September 2014 17:57:06 Philippe Clérié wrote:
Thanks for the tips.

Bug filed as #763072.

--
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>

I have looked at the bug report, and I would suggest that it may be
misphrased.  Keyboard selection is already in the installer.  I always choose
a standard UK keyboard and would struggle to install without it.  What is
missing apparently is the actual one you want.  Keyboard selection comes
after language selection.  Presumably (and I am guessing here) you choose US
English and are just given a US keyboard but the wrong one, rather than the
list of keyboards to select from that we British English choosers get.

Lisi

You know, you have forced me to re-evaluate what I thought I knew.

It appears that the Debian installer _does not_ have a Keymap variant selection dialog, even in expert mode. Even dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration does not seem to do anything, while in Ubuntu you get to do some more customization of the keyboard.

I had always assumed that the Ubuntu installer was the same as Debian's but with some more options activated. When filing the bug I thought it would be a one liner kind of change. That may not be the case.

Your description of the process above is correct. After choosing the language (en) and the location (US), Debian presents the [Configure the keyboard] dialog, with the header "Keymap to use:". The first selection in my case is "American English", and below that keymaps, for just about every other country/language, including British English. What I would like is to be presented a choice of layouts after selecting that keymap.

Having said that, my original phrasing seems to reflect exactly what I am asking for, and none of my assumptions are apparent (I think?). But I am copying the bug report just in case.

--
Philippe

------