Re: Fwd: Re: cron in UTC?

On 29/09/14 17:13, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Monday 29 September 2014 17:01:31 Tony van der Hoff wrote:
>> well, it's my understanding that the system (hardware)  time is always
>> UTC, but there is no way to set localtime to GMT (or UTC). Perhaps I'm
>> misunderstanding you.
>
> Erm....  What do you think we who live near Greenwich do???

Is Buckingham (1°W; see .sig) close enough, Lisi?

I think you do dpkg-reconfigure tzdata, and select Europe/London. There
is no option for GMT, specifically. Thus you get the twice-yearly hassle
of DST.  I believe you can define your own timezone, based on UTC+0, and
fix localtime to this.

But that's not really the point. I'm quite happy with localtime being
GMT/BST; I just want cron to trigger tasks at a fixed time each day,
regardless of localtime.

Surely, someone else must have encountered, and solved, this dilemma?

--
Tony van der Hoff        | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |