Re: how to force chronyd to be online after booting

Philippe Clérié <philippe@gcal.net> writes:

>> On 09/26/2014 06:31 PM, lee wrote:
>>
>> So is there some simple way to just force chronyd to remain online?  I
>> think when there isn't an option for this, I'll just replace it with
>> ntpd ...
>>

> I'd like to second that question.
>
> I've used chronyd for a while and I thought it worked great. When it
> worked. Unfortunately, my location is subject to blackouts, and some
> computers are more sensitive to changes in power sources than
> others. Long story short: chronyd stops working.

Hm, you don't use UPSs?

> I am now using openntpd. I would much rather use chrony.

Perhaps we should make a feature request?  IIUC, there's an "offline"
option for chronyds configuration file that can be used with every
server declaration.

They could add an "online" option to have chronyd always poll the server
instead of going into offline mode.  It could have a timeout option
like:

server ntp-1.example.com online 3600
server ntp-2.example.com online 0

The first one would try to reach the server for 3600 seconds and then go
into offline mode.  The second one would try to reach the server
indefinitely.  Hm, make the retry-duration optional and assume a
duration of 0 when it's omitted.

Anyway, I have replaced chronyd with ntpd.  Even if the feature will be
added, it'll take quite a while until it arrives here.

Ccing chrony-dev@chrony.tuxfamily.org

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.