Re: how to force chronyd to be online after booting

On 09/26/2014 06:31 PM, lee wrote:
Hi,

is there an easy way to force chronyd to get into/remain in its online
mode rather than going into offline mode?

So far, the documentation I found says it'll go and remain offline when
it can't reach a server.  When that happens, it can only be put into
online mode via chronyc.

The startup script is attempting to bring chronyd online in case a
default route is set (which is the case).  Yet chronyd remains offline,
probably either because the script doesn't detect that a default route
is set or because it's unable to put chronyd online (which is being
denied when I run 'chronyc online' from the commandline).

Since there's some indication that chronyd is considered to be a better
choice than ntpd, I'd like to keep chronyd.  But chronyd is useless when
it remains offline, and I don't want to have to mess around with it a
lot and rather replace it with ntpd.

The server it uses is the dom0 of the VM chronyd is running in, so the
server is even /granted/ to be online.  When I restart chronyd manually
after booting the VM, it works fine, proving that the server is
reachable.

So is there some simple way to just force chronyd to remain online?  I
think when there isn't an option for this, I'll just replace it with
ntpd ...

I'd like to second that question.

I've used chronyd for a while and I thought it worked great. When it worked. Unfortunately, my location is subject to blackouts, and some computers are more sensitive to changes in power sources than others. Long story short: chronyd stops working.

I am now using openntpd. I would much rather use chrony.

--
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>