Re: security camera software/RPi

On 09/26/2014 04:17 AM Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Vi, 26 sep 14, 09:05:32, Paul Lewis wrote:

In this case I have a Trendnet IP camera which will write to an NFS
share. I was looking for a server device that would be quieter and
consume less power than a conventional machine that I might be able to
run in a headless configuration. The Raspberry Pi seems to fit the
bill.

Throw in a couple of cheap usb drives and it seems to be a very
workable fairly inexpensive system.

Beware I/O performance is horrible and the Raspberry Pi may even crash
under load. I had to cap torrent downloads to 1 MiB/s to get stable
operation. Of course it doesn't help that the ethernet is also connected
via USB (internally).

There are other cheap devices out there with SATA.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Thanks for the warning, Andrei. (Whenever it is I get around to putting an RPi with a camera together) I was of course planning first to test one unit. When I read about this project, I didn't come across anyone talking about performance issues. The CPU on the RPi is 700MHz, which, while not screaming fast, isn't exactly slow. I'm sure it would be wise, however, to shut down unneeded services and generally trim down just to what is necessary.

In addition, my plan was not to save the video to a local drive, but rather to send it (over wifi/USBv2... and just when motion was detected) to a file server.

What other cheap devices devices were you referring to that would better handle the load?

Thanks again.