Re: PuTTY tips for Debian users

> On 27 Sep 2014, at 02:48, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure that the Debian wiki is the right place for this information.
> Although there is a Linux port of PuTTY, 99% of PuTTY users are
> Windows users, including me.  Although it may be used to login remotely
> to a Debian system, PuTTY itself is Windows software.  And I'm not
> sure that the Debian wiki is the place for making recommendations
> for how to configure Windows software.  I might write my own web
> page about it

As you wish. I personally would consider it relevant to the wiki, but others would disagree.

> PuTTY currently does not support 256-color mode.  See
>   http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/256-colours.html

That page indicates that putty had supported 256 colours since 2004. I was sure I had used them when I last used putty (a while ago). It's right that little client software uses the extra colours: I configure mutt to use the extra greyscale range for increasing or decreasing the prominence of mailing list posters by sender.