Re: security camera software/RPi

On 26/09/14 08:28:02, ken wrote:
>  From what I've read, some have set up such a system on a Raspberry
> Pi
>
> running a version of Debian called "Raspbian".  An RPi can be  had in
> the US for $30-40 and a camera which plugs into a dedicated port on
> the
> card for about $50 (though I haven't checked prices for months).  The
> Raspberry Pi website has How-To's which also discuss motion-
> detection,
>
> off-loading of video, and related topics.

That is pretty much exactly the configuration I was thinking of
setting up here.

In this case I have a Trendnet IP camera which will write to an NFS
share. I was looking for a server device that would be quieter and
consume less power than a conventional machine that I might be able to
run in a headless configuration. The Raspberry Pi seems to fit the
bill.

Throw in a couple of cheap usb drives and it seems to be a very
workable fairly inexpensive system.

News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is just
advertising.

Lord Northcliffe