Re: 24/7 servers and FSCK

Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> writes:

> important to run on boot but what i want to know if fsck process is that
> critical do i need to run fsck manually. so that i can save my server from

I wouldn't worry about it.  I've had a server running for a longer time
than the uptime counter took to flow over (which it did some time after
752 days).  The machine was puzzled together from retired hardware and
never had a problem with corrupted file systems or otherwise.  It
operated as a file server for the IT department and as a web server
(with php and mysql) for the company.

To actually run fschk, you'll have to do something like 'shutdown -r -f
now'.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.