Re: 24/7 servers and FSCK

On 26/09/14 22:51, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> hello all,
>
> i have several debian server and they are up 24/7. even i have a server
> which is up for 1.5 years. without restart.
>
> now i know when ever i restart this for the maintenance it will run the
> fsck to check the disk. which is fine and i have heard that it is very
> important to run on boot but what i want to know if fsck process is that
> critical do i need to run fsck manually. so that i can save my server
> from restart just for fsck.
> or i can cron job the task once every moth or two is this a good idea.
>
> Thanks,
> MYK

As others have pointed out - you shouldn't run fsck on a mounted file
system. It is possible, it's just not a good idea.
I have a couple of Squeeze (LTS) servers with similar or greater uptimes
(well-backed up) and 'so' far they haven't shown any signs of file
corruption... should the do so I'll reboot and let fsck run. I have vnc
console access to them but nevertheless I prefer to automate the fsck
process as much as possible.

>From my notes:-

*Automatic fsck at boot*

For a machine without console access. If for any reason the system
decides to interactively fsck at boot time then the machine is stuck
waiting or console access. If none is available then the machine cannot
boot. To enable a non-interactive boot in this case set FSCKFIX=yes in
the /etc/default/rcS file.

# sed --in-place "s/^FSCKFIX=no$/FSCKFIX=yes/" /etc/default/rcS

credit to Bob Proulx:-
http://www.proulx.com/~bob/debian/hints/squeeze-new.html

HTH

Kind regards