Re: 'motion' does not save movies, only still pics

On 09/25/2014 11:34 PM, Scott Ferguson wrote:
On 26/09/14 00:12, Rob Owens wrote:
I tested 'motion' on Wheezy yesterday.  It detects motion and takes
still shots, but it is not creating movies out of the still shots.

I have set:

# Use ffmpeg to encode mpeg movies in realtime (default: off)
ffmpeg_cap_new on

and

# Gap is the seconds of no motion detection that triggers the end of
an event # An event is defined as a series of motion images taken
within a short timeframe. # Recommended value is 60 seconds
(Default). The value 0 is allowed and disables # events causing all
Motion to be written to one single mpeg file and no pre_capture. gap
60

Can anybody confirm that movie output works on Wheezy?

Yes.

One thing that may be a factor in my case is that my test webcam is
very slow.  I am only getting one picture every 2 or 3 seconds when
motion is detected.  I have framerate set to 2 fps.  Maybe motion is
aware that my pics are too far apart in time and is deciding not to
combine them into a movie.
Any clues in the logs?  'top' may help find any bottlenecks. Note that
an older box will have problems with high frequency high resolution
images - especially with USB < 3. A work around that problem might be
any or all of:-
;reduce frequency of images
;reduce image resolution
;offload image processing to hardware

What sort of motion are you wanting to detect at 2 fps? A break-in by
Speedy Gonzales? ;p
Be careful or your motion directory will quickly fill with a huge amount
of pictures. I don't use the movie output version - though I've used it
in the past. I found it an unnecessary use of resources - it's trivial
to construct a movie from the relevant still images at a later date -
just ensure that you email those images off-site immediately after a
motion event is detected (if you're using motion for security purposes).

It may be relevant that while I do have the deb-multimedia.org
repository enabled on the Debian (Wheezy) systems that run motion, it's
pinned to give preference to debian repositories:-
$ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/multimedia.pref
Package: *
Pin: origin *.deb-multimedia.org
Pin-Priority: 200

-Rob

Upstream documentation is excellent - apologies for not referencing it
earlier:-
http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome

Kind regards

Rob and Scott, et al..

Don't know if this will help but thot' I'd look into it myself so did a search and found....

Check out....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwDLkMPLTw0

This is part one of two parts.  HTH

Whit