'motion' does not save movies, only still pics

I tested 'motion' on Wheezy yesterday.  It detects motion and takes still shots, but it is not creating movies out of the still shots.

I have set:

# Use ffmpeg to encode mpeg movies in realtime (default: off)
ffmpeg_cap_new on

and

# Gap is the seconds of no motion detection that triggers the end of an event
# An event is defined as a series of motion images taken within a short timeframe.
# Recommended value is 60 seconds (Default). The value 0 is allowed and disables
# events causing all Motion to be written to one single mpeg file and no pre_capture.
gap 60

Can anybody confirm that movie output works on Wheezy?

One thing that may be a factor in my case is that my test webcam is very slow.  I am only getting one picture every 2 or 3 seconds when motion is detected.  I have framerate set to 2 fps.  Maybe motion is aware that my pics are too far apart in time and is deciding not to combine them into a movie.

-Rob