Re: security camera software

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Bob McGowan" <Bob_McGowan@symantec.com>
>
> On 9/24/14, 6:43 AM, "Rob Owens" <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
>
> >I need to set up a couple usb cameras to record video based on motion
> >detection.  I prefer ease of setup to a large feature set, since this is
> >expected to be only temporary.  I want to only record when there is
> >motion, so I don't have hours of footage to search through.
> >
> >A quick search shows recommendations for a package called 'motion'.  Does
> >anybody here have any experience with that, or can anybody recommend
> >something better?
> >
> >-Rob
> >

> I've looked into video surveillance also and only found 'motion', as the
> "simple" interface.
>
> The only other tool I've found is zoneminder, which is web based and much
> more complex.

I've been looking at the 'motion' docs and it seems straightforward, so I'll give it a try.  It supports multiple cameras, which was one of my concerns.

I've seen zoneminder in the past and I think it's much more than I need right now.

I will have a look at camorama, based on Hans' suggestions.

Thanks everyone for your help.

-Rob