Re: Jessie and Systemd integration

On Mi, 24 sep 14, 14:05:11, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:19:55 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Ma, 23 sep 14, 19:48:38, Steve Litt wrote:
> > > On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 21:10:22 +0100
> > > Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <j.deboynepollard-newsgroups@ntlworld.com>

> > > Very, very nice, Jonathan! I'd be a lot happier person had the
> > > Debian crew had selected nosh as PID 1 and the daemon manager, and
> > > had various daemons manage interprogram linkages.
> >
> > It doesn't seem ready for prime time to me
>
> How do you come to that conclusion. Does it fail? Does it not
> initialize everything, control all daemons, and shut down in an orderly
> fashion?

$ apt-cache search -n nosh
noshell - transitional dummy package
titantools - Tools to secure bastion hosts
$

(i.e. it's not in Debian)

There there are things like:

    It is known to build, run, and work on PC-BSD 9.1 and Debian Linux
    version 7. It should similarly build, run, and work on any modern
    BSD and on any modern Linux flavour.

from the project's webpage that are not inspiring too much confidence
and there's also also:

    For compatibility:
    A mechanism for converting systemd unit files (within certain limits
    that should cover the majority of units, albeit by no means every
    possible unit) to service bundles is provided.
    Obtaining and building
    Several suites of service bundles for standard system targets,
    common system initialization services, common regular non-socket
    services, and common regular socket services are also available
    pre-built, installing under /etc/system-manager/targets/, /etc/sv/,
    and /var/sv/. These service bundles are usable on PC-BSD, FreeBSD,
    and Debian Linux . (Not all services apply to all systems, of
    course.)

This seems to suggest it needs these so called "service bundles" to
work. Since it's foreseeable that not all daemons will have systemd
units by the release of Jessie how does it handle init scripts?

Anyway, I'm not trying to discourage anyone from experimenting with it,
but I predict that any real contender to systemd will have to be able to
work with its unit files, in all cases that really matter.

Kind regards,
Andrei