Re: Jessie and Systemd integration

On Ma, 23 sep 14, 19:48:38, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 21:10:22 +0100
> Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <j.deboynepollard-newsgroups@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/Softwares/nosh.html
>
> Very, very nice, Jonathan! I'd be a lot happier person had the Debian
> crew had selected nosh as PID 1 and the daemon manager, and had various
> daemons manage interprogram linkages.

It doesn't seem ready for prime time to me and you seem to be
misunderstanding about how things in Debian work. Let me try to explain
it:

1. some person likes/uses/writes a particular software and decides to
package it for Debian. The package is accepted in Debian provided it
complies to Policy, DFSG, integrates nicely, etc.

2. if there are multiple packages providing similar functionality a
default *might* be designated by any or a combination of:
   - quality (of the upstream software and the Debian package)
   - popularity
   - integration
   - features
   - upstream cooperation
   - etc.

Having such decisions escalated to the Technical Committee is quite rare
as generally such decisions are agreed upon between the corresponding
Maintainers. See for example the switch from syslog to rsyslog a few
releases ago.

One major reason OpenRC was more or less disqualified in comparison to
upstart and systemd was that the package was still not quite ready at
the time of evaluation by the Technical Committee. Both upstart and
systemd had been in Debian for quite some time already.

In hindsight I think upstart might have replaced sysvinit possibly even
for wheezy had its Maintainers allowed co-installation with sysvinit and
simple testing with init=<whatever> as the systemd Maintainers did.

Kind regards,
Andrei