Re: systemd bug closed - next steps?

On Tue 23 Sep 2014 at 12:58:26 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 19:11:03 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let's discuss your analogies...
>
> === Depending on glibc ===
> True, it's a single point of failure, but it's made by GNU, whose
> agenda is less harmful to Linux than the agenda of Redhat.

Misinformation. systemd is not in the control of or managed or developed
by Red Hat, although it will, like Debian, contribute to it. I doubt you
will retract the statement, though.

> === udev ===
> Udev is one of the components that provide hot plugging. Take it out
> and root needs to manually mount stuff. OK, that's a pain in the butt,
> but it's limited. Most of us remember the days when you really had to
> do a mount, as root, to read a thumb drive. Hassle? Yes. Comparable to
> the invasiveness of a PID 1 whose most intimate details are necessary
> to run the most mundane user apps? No.

Running mc depends on what PID 1 is? Are you sure we are both using
Debian? You are peddling more misinformation.

I use pmount myself and do not see it as a hassle. Others want what they
see as a more convenient method. They need udev. They're happy and I'm
happy; it's only you who seems a bit miserable. Cheer up; you have the
same choice as us available.

(Next time, would you please do a question and answer session which
bears some releationship to reality?).

> === X.org ===
> First, no CLI program gives a flying flamingo about what GUI provider
> is used: They don't access it. Systemd, on the other hand, has its
> sticky little fingers in CLI and GUI alike. Second, by definition, a
> GUI program must access GUI system software. There's no such definition
> that CLI user identification must interact with part of PID 1's
> package, nor that a GUI program know the intimate details of PID 1.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. You probably don't
either. Not so much misinformation but a propagation of confusion.

You did say you were involved in a plan to replace Jessie's default init
system? Heaven help us.