Re: systemd bug closed - next steps?

On 09/21/2014 at 12:12 PM, John Hasler wrote:

> Rob Owens writes:
>
>> I submitted a general bug regarding packages which require
>> changing your init system to systemd.  I pointed out that this
>> runs counter to Debian's goals of supporting multiple init
>> systems.
>
> No, it doesn't.  Any individual package can depend on any other
> package. Unfortunately, many upstreams are writing their code in
> such a way as to require that when their software is packaged for
> Debian the resulting package must depend on systemd features.

How does this contradict the idea that having packages which require the
use of a particular init system runs counter to the goal of supporting
multiple init systems?

The problem is specifically that the features which these upstreams want
to depend on are provided by an init system. That should be rejected out
of hand; any functionality which a separate project might legitimately
want to depend on should not be provided (primarily or exclusively) by
an init system, unless all init systems will necessarily provide that
functionality.

Filing bugs about that against the packages which depend on that
functionality, as advised in the mail closing the bug which this thread
is about, is not productive; they don't control what provides the
functionality they need.

Filing bugs about it against systemd - either in Debian or upstream -
would be getting closer to the root of the problem, but would also not
be productive; providing these features in the init system is an
intentional design choice of systemd. It is also exactly what should be
changed, but good luck getting anyone in the systemd project to agree to
the idea of changing it.

> The only solutions for this are to either convince upstream
> authors to change their ways or to make other init systems able to
> emulate systemd to the extent necessary.
>
> If you can find packages that gratuitously depend on systemd file
> specific bugs against those packages.  When the systemd dependency
> is deeply embedded in the upstream source, though, there is
> nothing the package maintainer can do about it.

Just because there's nothing the (depending) package maintainer can do
about it doesn't mean there isn't a bug, though.

As I've argued before, the bug lies in the design stage, specifically in
the decision to implement certain functionality in systemd rather than
outside of it.

The resulting behavior, in terms of packages which are not related to a
particular init system but which will only work with that init system
present, is undesirable and unnecessary - which seems like a decent
enough mapping to "buggy", at least to me.

Saying "Yes, it's a problem, but there's nothing we can do about it"
would be one thing (although there *is* something which could be done
about it, in terms of pushing back on systemd upstream). But saying
"This isn't a bug" is very much another.

- --
   The Wanderer