Re: Effectively criticizing decisions you disagree with in Debian

Ahoj,

Dňa Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:12:51 -0700 Don Armstrong <don@debian.org>
napísal:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> > Then please explain to us why, with all of the negative technical
> > aspects surrounding systemd, it looks to be the default init in
> > Jessie.
>
> You can start by reading why I voted for systemd:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708#3661
>
> You would also do well to read the statements by the other committee
> members.
>
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > For one by closing bugs without fixing them. As users we are always
> > admonished to file bugs. But whether those bugs will be acknowledge
> > and handled appropriately depends upon the project. My experience is
> > that if it is systemd that the bug will not be handled nicely.
>
> This is because of a combination of not enough volunteers to handle
> the bugs, and the bludgeoning of people working on systemd in general
> as evidenced on this very mailing list. Package maintainers are only
> human, after all.

When will the systemd end to force users to use it without any other
choice, a lot of people can ignore it (systemd).

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, lee wrote:
> > Try to help by providing translations, and you'll find it's
> > impossible because there's nowhere and no one to offer such service.
>
> Debian's website, installer, and many parts of the software that
> Debian provides are all translated. See
> https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/ for example.

Are you expecting, that these translator will need to be programmers
too, please? Consider you this as the same contributing as the
developers and maintainers are doing?

> > What I don't understand is that criticism and other forms of
> > speaking up cannot be considered as a form of contribution.
>
> Constructive criticism is often a useful contribution. Destructive
> criticism, much less so.
>
> Disagree all you want, but don't malign others when you do so. (Or at
> least, don't do it on Debian communication infrastructure.)

You ask the constructive criticism. It can be terrible, because i am
not a developer. I am a user and i have enough knowledge to see, if i
something want/need or not, if something is working for me or not,
etc. But i have no enough knowledge how to fix problems.

Then, please, leave the constructive criticism for the developers,
which can to know how to do things better if users see that it is not
very good. If not, then i will understand your words as quandary and as
effort to silence unsatisfied users without real solving of
their problems and this is what i see as something really
non-constructive.

regards

--
Slavko